Tuesday, December 4, 2012

"But I voted for Obama!"


A few houses down from mine there's a sweet old man who lives with his son and daughter-in-law. Every day I walk my dog past his house and he comes out and talks to me. I'm pretty sure he has no idea what my name is. The truth is, I have no clue what his name is either. I just refer to him as the old man.
In spite of our lack of familiarity, we have a nice chat every morning. His son (who is closer to my father in age than he is to me) and I like to chat about politics regularly. He and I are both Romney fans. The old man voted for Obama.
On occasion the old man will ask me for help with something if no one else is at home with him. A few days ago he came out of the house in a huff, holding a letter. His son was getting in the car to leave and warned me his dad was in a mood because he just got a letter about his Social Security. After the son left, the old man and I had a chat.


He was ticked because "he voted for Obama," so he wouldn't lose his Medicaid or his Social Security. But he just got a letter saying that the cost of his medications will now automatically be deducted from his Social Security. And now he won't have as much money! He is not very happy about this.
I asked how he thought Obamacare was going to work. Did he really think he was going to get everything for free? He tried really hard not to look too guilty as he avoided saying yes. I told him, no, that's not how it works. Obamacare just makes sure that they take your money from you so you can't spend it elsewhere, and calls that "insuring" that everyone has health care coverage now.
The old man was not pleased. Not pleased at all.
He didn't want to continue the conversation. He shoved the letter back in his pocket and went back inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome here!