Sunday, February 14, 2016

I Don't Want to Fall in #Formation



For the past week the social media and marketing experts have been trashing the restaurant chain Red Lobster for not taking better advantage of Beyonce mentioning it in her new song, "Formation." 
She performed the song at the Super Bowl last week, just as she released it. 
But she didn't really perform the song at the Super Bowl, did she? 
She performed an annotated version of it. The real song could never have been played in full on television or radio. 
Here are just SOME of the lyrics. Edited for language. 

What happened at the New Wil’ins?
B*****, I'm back by popular demand

[Refrain: Beyoncé]
Y'all haters corny with that Illuminati mess
Paparazzi, catch my fly, and my cocky fresh
I'm so reckless when I rock my Givenchy dress (stylin')
I'm so possessive so I rock his Roc necklaces
My daddy Alabama, Momma Louisiana
You mix that negro with that Creole make a Texas bama
I like my baby heir with baby hair and afros
I like my negro nose with Jackson Five nostrils
Earned all this money but they never take the country out me
I got a hot sauce in my bag, swag

[Interlude: Messy Mya + Big Freedia]
Oh yeah, baby, oh yeah I, ohhhhh, oh, yes, I like that
I did not come to play with you hoes, haha
I came to slay, b****
I like cornbreads and collard greens, b****
Oh, yes, you besta believe it

[Refrain: Beyoncé]

[Chorus: Beyoncé]
I see it, I want it, I stunt, yellow-bone it
I dream it, I work hard, I grind 'til I own it
I twirl on them haters, albino alligators
El Camino with the seat low, sippin' Cuervo with no chaser
Sometimes I go off (I go off), I go hard (I go hard)
Get what's mine (take what's mine), I'm a star (I'm a star)
Cause I slay (slay), I slay (hey), I slay (okay), I slay (okay)
All day (okay), I slay (okay), I slay (okay), I slay (okay)
We gon' slay (slay), gon' slay (okay), we slay (okay), I slay (okay)
I slay (okay), okay (okay), I slay (okay), okay, okay, okay, okay
Okay, okay, ladies, now let's get in formation, cause I slay
Okay, ladies, now let's get in formation, cause I slay
Prove to me you got some coordination, cause I slay
Slay trick, or you get eliminated

[Verse: Beyoncé]
When he f*** me good I take his a** to Red Lobster, cause I slay
When he f*** me good I take his a** to Red Lobster, cause I slay
If he hit it right, I might take him on a flight on my chopper, cause I slay
Drop him off at the mall, let him buy some J's, let him shop up, cause I slay
I might get your song played on the radio station, cause I slay
I might get your song played on the radio station, cause I slay
You just might be a black Bill Gates in the making, cause I slay
I just might be a black Bill Gates in the making

I have a problem with songs like this, and I will very likely get some negative feedback for my honesty. You have to lower your IQ, and then forget anything and everything about grammar, rhyming, and meter, for this song to make sense. I get that Queen Beyonce is a big deal. The girl can dance. And she's put out a few fantastic songs. But then there is this song. Maybe she's put out profanity laden song before and I just don't know about it. That is entirely possible. 

But this song was performed (abbreviated) at the Super Bowl. The profane verses were left out. Because, in theory, we still have some sensibilities left as a nation that says lines like "When he f*** me good I take his a** to Red Lobster, cause I slay" aren't appropriate. 

Which brings me back to Red Lobster. 

In a day and age of internet stardom and social media notoriety, it is expected that when someone like Beyonce references you, that you jump up, and milk it for all its worth. 

But what if that company doesn't want to be associated with "When he f*** me good I take his a** to Red Lobster, cause I slay?" That seems to be the question nobody is asking. 

After a delay, the company did finally seize the opportunity with the following tweets- 


But then they dropped it and went back to their usual #lobsterworthy campaign. 

It's the question no one seems to be asking - what if Red Lobster just didn't want to be associated with "When he f*** me good I take his a** to Red Lobster?" 
Cause they just might not want to. 
If you had a family restaurant would you want to be known that way? 
It goes back to the common sensibilities of the nation as a whole. Should any restaurant want to be associated with "When he f*** me good I take his a** to..." 

Just because Beyonce said it, doesn't make it good. And I think a lot of people collectively forgot that this week. JUST BECAUSE A CELEBRITY SAID IT, DOESN'T MAKE IT RIGHT. Not even a celebrity so popular as to be dubbed Queen B. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome here!