Tuesday, March 22, 2016

6 Important Reasons I Will Never Support Donald Trump for President


A friend of mine on Facebook recently stated that he’s really starting to like Trump. Specifically he said, 
“Learning more about this man as his campaign develops.
Let me say it like this. I resonate with so much of what he says. Believe it's American and I believe it is on point. We must hunker down on big issues like immigration, nuclear weapons, sanctions on China, jobs, terrorist groups and many other issues.
Side note. Trump is sloppy. He is not a career politician. He is in some ways what we should expect from someone who is on the outside looking in. He wants what so many Americans feel for this country. He loves America!
Trump isn't going to tout the constitution because that is an unspoken for him. It is not the constitution in and of itself that concerns the American people. It's about big issues and how can we make them align with the American values. He's not a constitution martyr.
Side note. I'm not in love with the guy yet but I'm forming arguments that help me understand who is the best for our country. I am in love with his momentum.
Now, take for example, his temperament and the crazy things he says in front of millions of people... If it wasn't for these things would he otherwise be fit for president? Maybe. Maybe not.
What is to be said about defending oneself when your opponent takes a cheap shot at your hands/manhood? Was that presidential? What is presidential?
In my opinion Trump's ideals, how he thinks, aligns with the constitution with what hopefully the American people want deep down.
He went on to more or less to invite people to explain why they disagree. So, friend, here we go. Here is why I strongly disagree with Trump to the point of actively campaigning against him.


1. Actual Trump quote, “If I become president, we’re all going to be saying Merry Christmas again, that I can tell you.” 
I can see and understand why this sounds like a good thing to some people. And I’m someone who likes to always say Merry Christmas. It’s a religious holiday and I treat it as such. But I respect that for the majority of Americans, it’s not a deeply religious holiday. I respect that in order to be more generic and not say the wrong thing to other faiths some people don’t say it. I could shrug off what Trump said as one of his big crowd-pleasing statements that he would never actually make happen, but that’s just the thing. Some of his other statements worry me that he might actually try to pass a law or decree that forces people to say Merry Christmas. And again, I like Merry Christmas. But it’s the forcing anyone to say anything religious that scares me. And the complete and total disregard for freedom of speech.

2. His comments to and regarding Megyn Kelly and other media members.
First, his comments about Megyn Kelly have been downright rude, misogynistic, sexist, and inappropriate. If any other public figure made those comments they would be hung in the public square. But because Trump is his own media circus, and statements like that make a bigger circus, so somehow he gets away with it.
I will say one thing almost in Trump’s defense. I will agree with this one thing he said in his Washington Post Editorial Board panel. “You’ll do a hundred deals, and you’ll do one bad one or two bad ones — that’s all they read about are the bad ones. They don’t read about the one hundred and fifty great ones that you had. And even some of the ones they write that are good, they make them sound bad.”
He’s right. There is an exploitation problem in the 24/7 news cycle. The media does blow things up unnecessarily. (In fact, I’m writing a book about this subject.) But at the same time, I don’t get the impression Trump only had 1 or 2 bad deals. There are too many stories and rumors about lots of bad deals. I don’t trust him to be honest. Ever.
But let’s go back to how he says that when he’s in the Oval Office he wants to limit the media from saying bad things about them. He calls it making them be fair. (And again, I do think the media could be more fair by not exploiting so many stories just to sell papers and fill the airwaves.) But we should never, ever limit or attempt to control the media.
For this reason alone I could never vote for Trump. And why I truly believe he would lead our country to hell in a hand basket faster than you can say gesundheit.

3) He stated that he thinks the number of illegalimmigrants in the United States is “30 million, it could be 34 million.” 
This number is flat out wrong. Horribly wrong. It’s about 11 million.
It’s not that he got the number wrong. It’s that this is a perfect example of how he makes up random facts. He has plenty of money. He could have a well-experienced campaign staff with experience writing speeches and doing research for him. But he doesn’t. He prefers to speak off the cuff, and not use a speechwriter. Some people respect that. My problem with it is that he doesn’t research anything he talks about. He has no problem spouting off about things he has no knowledge of.
Actual quote –
“[The difference] will [matter] when it’s appropriate,” Trump said. “I will know more about it than you know, and believe me, it won’t take long.”
Hamas is a Palestinian Islamist organization based in the Gaza Strip. Hezbollah is a Shiite Islamist militant group and political party based in Lebanon. Both are avowedly committed to Israel’s destruction.
His ego… “I will know more about it than you know, and believe me, it won’t take long.” Wow. I’m not impressed with that sort of comment. In fact, it’s a massive turnoff.
He wants to be the most powerful man in the world (or actually probably believes that he is already) and he doesn’t bother to research the issues?? I can’t support that. At. All.

4. To quote the NY Times, “Even more disqualifying is Mr. Trump’s temperament. He is erratic, inconsistent, and unprincipled. He possesses a streak of crudity and cruelty that manifested itself in how he physically mocked a Times journalist with a disability, ridiculed Senator John McCain for being a POW, made a reference to “blood” intended to degrade a female journalist, and compared one of his opponents to a child molester.”

5. His tendency to say, “I will be the best {insert anything here}.” I don’t understand how or why people believe him when he makes this claim. I can walk around all day telling you that “I will know more about it than you know, and believe me, it won’t take long” and you would hate me for it. And yet, somehow, there are people who actually believe him and like him for it.

6. I truly believe that despite the fact that he says things like how he’ll uphold the Constitution, his actions speak otherwise, and his knowledge of the Constitution is seriously lacking.
For instance, in January, he said the following on Meet the Press. –
CHUCK TODD:
Let me ask you. Senator Rubio sponsored a bill back in Florida to give in-state tuition for undocumented immigrants. There’s a lot of states that allow in-state tuition for the children of undocumented immigrants. I’ve not heard your position on that.
DONALD TRUMP:
I’m opposed to it.
CHUCK TODD:
Totally opposed?
DONALD TRUMP:
They’re here. They’re not here legally. I’m opposed to it–
CHUCK TODD:
Even kids born to illegal immigrants–
DONALD TRUMP:
Well, I happen to disagree with the whole concept of anchor babies. I mean, you look at anchor babies–
CHUCK TODD:
But that’s in the Constitution.
DONALD TRUMP:
No, it’s not in the Constitution. If you read and if you look, and if you go to the real scholars, like different people that I can give you, they will tell you. Somebody comes over and they have a baby on our border and it happens to be on this side of the border, we’re not mandated to take care of that baby. You do not have to change the Constitution.
You may need a vote in Congress, but you don’t have to change. Now, there’s a, you know, debate about that. I don’t think it’s even close. And I’ve been on this issue for a long time. No, no, people have to come into our country legally, Chuck. They have to be here legally.
Trump was completely wrong.
According to Section 1 of the 14th Amendment, “All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
The vast majority of legal scholars hold the opinion that children of immigrants who are born in the United States are citizens.
Again, it’s when he says things like, “if you go to the real scholars, like different people that I can give you” that I get really worried. If he’s so rich and great, why doesn’t he have actual credible scholars and researchers on his staff?
His position on illegal immigration isn’t even what I’m taking offense with here. (But let it be known, I greatly disagree with him there.) It’s the fact that he wants to be the POTUS and doesn’t understand the 14th Amendment!!

These are not all of my reasons. But this is already over 1,600 words. So I’ll stop here.
Donald Trump is not a man with the knowledge, temperament, or experience to be the President.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome here!