Tuesday, May 9, 2017

The Failures of Mormon Conservatism

Not too long ago I sat in a ward council meeting where the members discussed how we could better serve the refugees in our community. At the time I was very involved with the poor of our community and local non profits. I was aware of how very few refugees we had in town, and how many deserving poor there were as well. I tried to point out that we had few refugees in our town (and what few we had were not in dire straights), and that due in large part because some of the people in that very room had very loudly actively campaigned against allowing refugees in. I tried to call them out on their hypocrisy, (Serve and love them! Just not in my backyard!)

But I got shot down.

This article from the Deseret News explains my feelings on conservative Mormons who listen to politicians more than religious leaders.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are always welcome here!